Skip to main content

I know this is brief but I feel compelled to get a sense of this domain regarding her behavior today on her show.  She spent the whole three hours tearing down last night's Countdown on MSNBC devoted to a one-hour "special comment" by Keith Olbermann.

She writes on her Blog:  "I always thought a comment was a brief observation. Evidently I was wrong about the "brief" part. I'm sorry, but that was the most self-indulgent hour I've heard since Emerson, Lake & Palmer broke up. Keith! Talking for an entire hour isn't a comment. It's a filibuster. Olbermann railed on for an hour about how we need healthcare reform. Keith, the best thing about stating the obvious is that you can state it pretty quickly. At least most people can. Watching that there were a lot of things I wanted to hear Keith Olbermann say. But mostly I wanted to hear him say "And in conclusion..."

She railed on her radio show today that the one-hour commentary by Keith Olbermann last night as elitist and unintelligible.  Now while I can understand she may have missed the point.  Olbermann framed the health care issue as life and death and that many of us are fortunate to have our heath care while many thousands die each year simply because they do not.  Ms. Rhodes a progressive might as well have been working for WellPoint, Cigna, or any one of the other insurance giants for all the good she did today to advance reform.
Dan

For those of you who do not know her she is Randi Rhodes (born Randi Buten on January 28, 1959 in Brooklyn, New York) is an American progressive talk radio personality, formerly featured on Air America Radio and Nova M Radio and now on Premiere Radio Networks. Her eponymous program, The Randi Rhodes Show, airs live Monday through Friday from 3 pm to 6 pm Eastern Time.  Of course if you don't know her this may be hard to answer and I hesitate to have people invest time but if you like you can find her at http://www.therandirhodesshow.com/... (where you will find the quote above) and the Olbermann commentary at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/...

It seems we are learning from the tired repubs to eat our own.

Originally posted to LAWWIZARD on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 02:36 PM PDT.

Poll

ARE YOU DISGUSTED WITH RANDI RHODES?

62%375 votes
37%227 votes

| 602 votes | Vote | Results

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

•  I'm disgusted with anything in all caps. Are you? (3+ / 0-)
      pHunbalanced, Nowhere Man, buddabelly

I'm not saying you diary is bad, because I am not sure. I couldn't bring myself to read it after seeing you title and handle in all caps.

You probably think that all caps will grab people's attention, or it will better express the intensity you feel about this issue. But, unfortunately, capital letters won't. They may grab people's attention, but sort of in the same way that having a "kick me" sign taped to your butt does.

For your sake, for my sake, for everybody's sake, please do not use all capital letters.

•  Randi who?? (13+ / 0-)

The Southern Strategy, is alive and well in the Republican Party, and their Terrorist Recruitment Campaign is well underway.

by cyeko on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 02:38:46 PM PDT

•  randi rhodes (1+ / 0-)
      MKSinSA

LAWWIZARD IN ALHAMBRA

by LAWWIZARD on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 02:41:31 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  You know, the one who called a great former (2+ / 0-)
      Prof Haley, Idaho83702

Democratic First Lady an F'n Wh.re..

•  Candidate for President, at the time (2+ / 0-)
        Delilah, CentralMass

I find Randi hard to listen to because she can't seem to let anyone finish a sentence who doesn't agree with her. Honestly, yesterday she took a  caller who said our country was founded on Biblical principles. In 30 seconds she could have given this guy enough rope to hang himself, but no - she interrupts with contradictions and ends up looking no more rational than he does.

And today she wonders aloud why KO won't put her on the teevee machine.

We're on a blind date with Destiny, and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!

by Prof Haley on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 04:12:55 PM PDT

•  Hard to be (14+ / 0-)

... disgusted with someone for saying some vaguely defined something. You should put a little more meat on this bone.

•  I haven't listened to her show (9+ / 0-)

For at least three years, now.  I didn't even know she was no longer on Air America until that dust-up last year during the primary when she made derogatory comments about Hillary Clinton.

•  When listening gets tough... (2+ / 0-)
      Nellcote, kscatlvr2001

Randi is difficult to listen to for any length of time, because she's shrill and repetitive. I believe Keith was at his best, on the mark, and easy on the ears last night. But I sure wish he'd give up his awful and irritating voice impressions of Murdoch, Limbaugh, Beck, et.al. I hit the mute during those, if it's within reach. Peace.

"If we suffer tamely a lawless attack upon our liberty, we encourage it, and involve others in our doom" Samuel Adams

by cRedd on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 04:43:15 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Could not care less.... (32+ / 0-)

I stopped listening to her a long time ago.  She is just annoying, repetitve and shrill.

I thought Keith was right, appropriately emotional and he framed health care reform as a human rights issue.  And, he is trying to help us all.  I give him and Rachel credit for all they do.

Randi - not so much.

And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. Lennon/McCartney

by landrew on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 02:42:35 PM PDT

•  I stopped listening to Randi Rhodes about (14+ / 0-)

two days after I started listening to Air America 6 years ago.  I found her to be our equivalent of Rush Limbaugh.  Sure, her heart might be in the right place (unlike Rush), but I couldn't take more than an hour of her, and after giving her a second chance, decided that I'd leave talk radio to the conservatives who get off on that kind of crap.

It's often said that life is strange. But compared to what? --Steve Forbert

by darthstar on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 02:44:47 PM PDT

•  I'm with you (1+ / 0-)
      darthstar

I could not understand the love people gave her around here. Every progressive I know in the face to face world found her annoying and embarrassing. Her style is the on-air equivalent of tying in all caps.

•  I listen to her because... (1+ / 0-)
        LAWWIZARD

... she has some good things to say in spite of her style. One habit we need to break, is that of disregarding someone's opinion because we find their personality or style annoying.
        Why don't we ask John Kerry, Al Gore, and Hillary Clinton how it felt when subjective style judgments kept them from doing their jobs.

I personally think Randi's at her best when she's making fun of Rush or Beck or some other rightie, and I wish she'd do that more often.

That being said, I rolled my eyes listening to her tonight. Like, she just did not get it. I was glad for all the callers who reminded her that KO's purpose was not to present a good health care plan, but to raise consciousness and shame the still-heartless and still-clueless.

Real Democrats don't abandon the middle class. --John Kerry

by Lucy Montrose on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 10:06:25 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  I turned my back on Randi when she (7+ / 0-)

called Hillary a "big fucking whore" back in the primary and Geraldine Ferraro "David Duke in drag." I don't pay attention to her at all anymore.

Maine - ground zero in the battle for marriage equality.

by Rumarhazzit on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 02:46:45 PM PDT

•  Hard to say without a link--which would be more.. (5+ / 0-)

informative, along with some analysis of the talking points.  For anyone interested enough in doing their own research, here's the link.

Since this isn't my diary, I'll forego commenting or doing the research and analysis.

•  One of the times I strongly (3+ / 0-)
    rb608, newfie53523, Shaking the Tree

disagree with Randi. I only got to listen to a few minutes, but I think she was way off base.

"Some men see things as they are and say why. I dream things that never were and say why not." Robert F. Kennedy

by Harlock415 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 02:51:20 PM PDT

•  Me too! I was sad to hear her be so (3+ / 0-)
      WV Democrat, wsexson, Lucy Montrose

harsh.

It hurt to hear it.  But, like witnessing a car wreck, I loyally listened the entire 3 hrs.

LOL, when others began calling in to disagree with her, she began saying "hey!  I'm trying to change the subject, but you aren't letting me!"

Poor Randi, such a victim I guess.

•  She really did a pretty poor job of... (0+ / 0-)

... changing the subject, despite her repeated insistences she wanted to.

The ironic thing is, her objections to KO's speech are based on her subjective assessment of his style. A lot of the responses here take Randi to task for her style. The criticized doing the criticizing, forgetting it's of the same type she's faced herself, many times.

When she hoists herself on her own petard, she hoists good.

Real Democrats don't abandon the middle class. --John Kerry

by Lucy Montrose on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 10:11:58 PM PDT

•  I like her (2+ / 0-)
    sebastianguy99, Texdude

but i can't listen to her show, especially when she has that annoying bounce your boobies song on.

by GlowNZ on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 02:51:24 PM PDT

•  Haven't heard (2+ / 0-)
    rb608, Idaho83702

anything about her since the little thing last fall. Nice to hear she is alive and well. Other than that, I really don't care.

Common Sense is not Common

by RustyBrown on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 02:52:42 PM PDT

•  Unintelligible? (8+ / 0-)

Only if you guzzled half of bottle of Wild Turkey during "Hardball."

"You can never guarantee victory, but you can guarantee defeat."--Hall of Fame baseball writer Leonard Koppett.

by Dump Terry McAuliffe on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 02:53:39 PM PDT

•  Olberman's tribute to himself (2+ / 0-)
    sebastianguy99, GATXER

last night was unwatchable and it should be called out by us on the left. I've pretty much stopped watching him in the last couple of months because his ego has taken over. He was great during the election, but since then something has changed and it feels like the show is all about him now.

You shouldn't be made a Randi for criticizing him. She's made some truly excellent points about his broadcast from last night. It could have been A LOOOOOOOOOT better.

Slatersan.blogspot.com

by Slatersan on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 02:55:21 PM PDT

•  to the extent that I care about her at all, (3+ / 0-)
    magic1, pHunbalanced, Idaho83702

She's entitled to her own opinion. I don't listen to her, so it's hard to work up a good disgust. It ain't like she's rush limbaugh. I seriously doubt that her opinion will get much mention in the wider world.

A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.' Douglas Adams

by dougymi on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 02:57:59 PM PDT

•  Talk radio belongs to the right (1+ / 0-)
    rb608

Randi Rhodes seems to emulate the same format and techniques as those hot-air bloviators, but it doesn't make coming up with 4+ hours of cogent analysis a day easy. Maybe Brian Lehrer can, but I get the feeling Rhodes is working on a tight budget. And anyone who flaps their jaw too much is going to say something stupid eventually. (side note: that sticky caps key you have SPEAKS-VERY-LOUDLY.)

•  Oh, don't pay attention to her. (9+ / 0-)

She has a personal beef with KO.  I happen to like both of them, but that's what I think is going on here.

Oba-MA bumaye! Oba-MA bumaye!

by fou on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 02:58:21 PM PDT

•  I agree. Completely. (12+ / 0-)

I think that she's jealous.  She's been doing her schtick for a long time and is good at what she does (normally, imo).  She's had a topsy-turvey last year or two, and has persevered; however, she's not as "famous", if you will, as Ed Schultz and Keith.  Hence, her very own ego was bruised.

For her to witness the humanity that is within Keith Olbermann last night must have been hard.  I could see her saying, "Oh cry me a river, Keith!"  After all, she lost her sister to cancer and this healthcare roller coaster must pick at old scabs of her own...

Her ego, however, is as massive as Keith's and Eddie's!  She stooped too low today, imo.

•  Not only did she lose her sister to cancer... (7+ / 0-)

Her sister was screwed over by her insurance company, and spent the last few years of her life with severe back injuries, unable to stand straight, barely able to move, because the insurance company didn't feel a terminal cancer patient needed physical therapy. Her sister died and she raised the sister's daughter.

I didn't hear her today, but given her family's history, I'm surprised she went off on Keith. Sadly, I suspect you're correct, and this is about ego.

Blackadder: They're upset, Sir, because they are so poor that they are forced to have children merely to provide a cheap alternative to turkey at Christmas.

by AuroraDawn on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 03:42:34 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  You are correct. Randi, more than most, (4+ / 0-)
          Nellcote, Temmoku, LAWWIZARD, AuroraDawn

has first hand knowledge of how big insurance and big healthcare makes us suffer.  So, I suppose watching Keith show vulnerability and a version of his own angst with losing his mother recently and now going through his father's experiences hit a bit of a "shallow" tone to Randi.

I can see it.  We all do that with those we despise.  Randi doesn't have much love for Keith; never has had much regard for him.  Given her painful ordeal with her sister, I'm sure everything would pale in comparison.

Doesn't mean that Keith wasn't sincere though.  She is just too bitter to see and/or feel it, perhaps.

•  Again, you are probably correct... (2+ / 0-)
            Shaking the Tree, Temmoku

If she questioned his sincerity that's truly uncalled for. I know she went through hell with her sister, and she had major health problems of her own, which she has discussed on the show. If anything, she should welcome a well known media figure, even one she doesn't like, making a public plea for healthcare.

by AuroraDawn on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 04:14:32 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Didn't hear Randi, but did watch KO. (7+ / 0-)

Yeah, at times he used a vocabulary incomprehensible to most people; so if he was trying to reach most people, he may have come off as "elitist".  (Frankly, the word "inchoate" doesn't come up that often in my daily life either; but it's a great word.)

Despite using the better part of an hour (or maybe because of it), I thought his focus was too diffuse.  So what.  He made good points and made them clearly most of the time.  So he's no Barack Obama in oratory skills.  I can't imagine needing an entire radio show to make that point.  If that's what she did, she wasted a lot of time instead of focusing on the message.

People are dying because of lack of health care.  That's what's important, not KO's vocabulary.

"The louder he spoke of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." ...RWEmerson

by rb608 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 02:58:28 PM PDT

•  There was a time (5+ / 0-)

when speakers could use elevated language to make a more sophisticated point and trust that listeners would rise to the occasion. When FDR explained the war in the Pacific to his radio audience, he told them all to get out a map and follow along. And millions did.

KO had a few points that weren't simple - that not having insurance is on its way to becoming as big a contributor to preventable death as poverty in 19th-Century England; that Winston Churchill was thrown out for misjudging public support for nationalized health care; that worrying how you're going to pay the hospital bills is no way to get better. For my money, he only got off track when he started extrapolating from actuarial tables - I no longer trust the man in the street to understand a message expressed in fractions and percentages. I've seen enough of Countdown to trust that his personal moments were absolutely sincere.

I guess she wanted the usual political analysis - that the tide is turning for a public option, that this or that parliamentary maneuver is gaining support to break the threat of filibuster, &c. I think KO delivered something we need just as badly, the same thing we got from Alan Grayson - calling out the opponents of reform as lacking basic human decency.

by Prof Haley on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 04:33:36 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Hmmm, as I didn't watch the special comment (2+ / 0-)
    rb608, AuroraDawn

or listen to her show, I have to vote no.

Shit is what it is
    ~Jon Stewart

by Muzikal203 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 03:00:29 PM PDT

•  Oh, were it true that left-wing shock jocks (2+ / 0-)
    Idaho83702, AuroraDawn

were as influential with with any portion of the electorate as right-wing radio hosts are. God help the GOoPer who disses Rush Limbaugh; he'll be forced to publicly apologize within 18 hours.  Randi Rhodes has enough influence to affect absolutely nothing in any legislative battle, for good or bad.  Ed Shultz is doing his darndest to make an impact and IMO he's getting there.

Barack Obama in the Oval Office: There's a black man who knows his place.

by Greasy Grant on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 03:01:08 PM PDT

•  We could self-finance healthcare ... (3+ / 0-)
    Nellcote, sockpuppet, AuroraDawn

if only Kos would charge a nickel every time someone began their diary with "I know I shouldn't (so and so), but ...".

•  When I used to listen she would often refer (11+ / 0-)

to the fact that

1. Keith gets so much of his information from her show and never credits her and
    1. he never has asked her to be on the show and
    1. he's really egotistical a bully and is not very nice.

It's kinda like how she seems to enjoy putting down Al Franken and Ed Schultz.

And it's kinda one of the many reasons I now listen to music on my drive home.

-6.25 -5.3 Don't do the next best thing, do the best thing next.

by dansk47 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 03:03:00 PM PDT

•  Yeah, I forgot about her hatred... (8+ / 0-)

of Al Franken. It was so rank, she was actually rooting for Coleman on her show.

Just another socialist fuckstick homosinner!

by Ian S on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 03:11:52 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  It's beyond hate (1+ / 0-)
        sockpuppet

She's said that without Norm Ornstein Franken would be nothing, and she's said that if she told what she knew about him he'd be finished, but she won't because she's tired of court appearances.

by Prof Haley on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 05:02:35 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  She'll also say (0+ / 0-)

[she did today] that KO has the audience he has because she played clips from Countdown every day. Seriously - she discovered him.

by Prof Haley on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 04:35:30 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Just add it to her list (0+ / 0-)

no democrat would have been elected in 2004, 2006 or 2008 without her.  She helped but she sure as hell didn't do it alone. And she comes down on progressives all the time.  My biggest bitch, since I am bitching, I'd read something here first thing in the morning, she'd crip info  and then go on air, say she was the first one to find this information and bad mouth bloggers.

-6.25 -5.3 Don't do the next best thing, do the best thing next.

by dansk47 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 07:07:09 PM PDT

•  Thankfully (0+ / 0-)

I haven't heard her say anything bad about Sen. Franken since he was sworn in.

I turn off her show and switch to Pandora any time she talks crap about him. Sometimes I do that just because she is being annoying, which is not infrequent.

8/29 changed everything Your political compass Economic Left/Right: -6.13 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.10

by wsexson on Fri Oct 09, 2009 at 11:42:23 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Is She, Like, On AM Radio or Something? eom (0+ / 0-)
  •  No Big Deal (2+ / 0-)
    Bush Bites, AuroraDawn

I must have missed the memo that said everybody who uses DailyKos, listens to Randi Rhodes, and watches MSNBC is supposed to march in lockstep.

•  I was surprised at her show today (10+ / 0-)

I was shocked when she called him out for being "all ego".  She's the self-professed "Goddess of Radio"!

She also has had a scruff with Big Eddie too (in the past when she was on AAR).

Seems to me that Randi takes issue with other very strong personalities.  They all want to be the Alpha...and I also think she's a bit put off given that she has not been invited to be on either Keith's or Ed's shows.

After today's show of hers, she's pretty much ensured that she will NEVER be asked to make a showing!

It's too bad, though.  I lost respect for her today.  It felt like she was being a tad hypocritical.  Her opinion is her own, but for her to say that she "has no ego" was a blatant lie.

•  She actually said she had no ego? (4+ / 0-)

She is nothing but ego.

-6.25 -5.3 Don't do the next best thing, do the best thing next.

by dansk47 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 03:08:44 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  YES!! That's what got me, big time! (2+ / 0-)
        sockpuppet, dansk47

She was saying that she doesn't have an ego at all and that she has gone out of her way to promote Keith's show and played his 10 minute special comments all the time and that it was painful to bear witness to his ego and his being "schmaltzy"(?).

It was like she was protesting too much!

•  I actually think it was jealousy. (0+ / 0-)

She made many references to TV being more important than talk radio. Comparing the number of viewers Fox reaches versus cable news, to illustrate the relative advantage of TV. She even said something to the effect of, "all the crazies and loons are on talk radio", almost as if she were begging not to be stuck on radio anymore, for someone to take her away from all those "loons".

It was poignant to hear her say, "If it happened on TV, it happened. If it happened on talk radio, it didn't happen."

She's jealous of KO's reach!

Real Democrats don't abandon the middle class. --John Kerry

by Lucy Montrose on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 10:15:57 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  sounds like something personal (4+ / 0-)

I thought his Special Comment was incredible...maybe I am elite...NOT

"Republicans drove the country into a ditch and now they are complaining about the cost of the tow truck"-Jim Cornette

by justmy2 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 03:23:02 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  I was sobbing by the time he finished (4+ / 0-)
        Nellcote, sockpuppet, CTPatriot, Temmoku

his Special Comment last night.  I thought he was phenomenal.  I loved the historical nature of it, I loved the educational references and I especially loved how he showed such humanity in the face of his own situation.

He didn't have ego.  He pointed out, and rightly so, that HE was among the fortunate ones to be able to afford the best that money can buy and what about the less fortunate?

I believe that Randi used Keith's moment of vulnerability to dig at him.  I thought her to be shallow today.  And it saddened me.  I used to respect her, a lot.

•  Yeah I was going to post about (11+ / 0-)

this too. She attacked K.O. for being elitist in last night's special comment. Heaven forbid he should mention Winston Churchill and William Jennings Bryan in his rant. Plus she has the unmitigated gall to attack his ego. Wow, pot meet kettle! In almost the same breath, she claims her audience would never have tuned into K.O. if it weren't for her touting his Special Comments.

Turns out this is just another case of her turning on another progressive due to some personal snub, real or imagined. She also treated Ed Schultz the same way and just a few days ago jabbed at Jim Ward (Stephanie Miller's talented and Emmy-winning voice actor) suggesting he looked like Rush Limbaugh.

But the worst of her attack on Keith was to claim that he's becoming just like Glen Beck. What a crock!

Anyway, that's it for me listening to her fact-challenged diatribes. She's banished from my office radio. Good riddance. As she herself would say "don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.!"

Just another socialist fuckstick homosinner!

by Ian S on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 03:08:41 PM PDT

•  I get disgusted with Randi Rhodes... (1+ / 0-)
    Shaking the Tree

at least once or twice every time I listen to her. But that's true of every other radio talker I hear, too. I think it takes a special giganto-sized ego to want to keep talking for money and a giganto-sized ego is always going to run amok from time to time, even under the control of the biggest brain.

•  Randi has been a liberal in a sea (2+ / 0-)
      blueteam, AuroraDawn

of conservative talk radio.  She's been doing it for twenty-some-odd years.  She's got company now, and I think she's having some issues working through the "sharing" part of cohabitation.

And you know how we are as progressives...we're all head chef in the proverbial kitchen!  8~)

•  I think she's also... (11+ / 0-)

somewhat embittered over how she lost her job with Air America. Sometimes I love Randi, sometimes I can't stand her. It's apparent that she has trouble getting along with her peers. She holds a grudge to this day against both Ed Schultz and Al Franken for supposed insults they paid her years ago. She seems to be POed at Sam Seder, too, over something he never even said.

It's unfortunate, because when Randi avoids petty bickering and egotism, she has the ability to explain complex issues in very simple terms, comprehensible to anyone, which is a valuable asset.

by AuroraDawn on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 04:00:41 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  I couldn't agree with you more! (5+ / 0-)

She can be a huge asset to our cause(s); but when she stoops and invites others to scrap in the mud with her, she embarrasses us all.

Instead of casting such harsh judgment against Keith, she could have taken her THREE hour show and shared her own story about what it was like going through her sister's suffering with her audience to further nail down the root of our cause as a Progressive movement!  She's shared it before.  I recall myriad times when she spoke of her sister's suffering and back pains, raising her niece as her own, etc.

Instead, she made herself look like an ass, not to mention petty and bitter for some reason.  I was very disappointed in her today.

•  Not disgusted in the least (1+ / 0-)
    AuroraDawn
    I might disagree with her on Keith Olbermann, but Olbermann owes his current career to Rhodes's leadership in broadcasting.

That's not even to mention her role in getting progressives elected in this country.

She gets a lot of slack from me. She earned it.

•  you got to be kidding.... (6+ / 0-)

Keith has been on the radio and tv for years.  He was doing straight news after 2001 and then got disgusted with Bush and did his famous Special Comment and then the libs flocked to his show.

Randi did not pave the way for him!  Gosh before AAR, she was an unknown outside of lower Florida.  She is jealous of Keith and while I listen to her everyday, I had to shut her off when she started the 2nd hour still on her rant.  She is also jealous of Rachel Maddow.  She talks down Keith, Rachel, Big Eddie, and others who have made the move to tv.

Today, she said she was the one who made KO's show popular by playing his special comments on the radio.  Who has the ego?  She use to say his people listened to her show to get ideas.  She is upset because he doesn't ask her on his show, that's the bottom line.  Plus, Rachel made it to tv and she didn't.

I will listen to her again but will again shut her off when she repeats this sorry act.  I also wrote her telling her I was shutting her off.

•  Yeah, if Keith sees these comments, he will laugh (0+ / 0-)

at the very notion of Randi thinking he owes his career to her.

He would probably tell her he's been on the radio in some way or other since his school days, and that he has been gainfully employed as a broadcaster for about 30 years now without any help from her.

•  Glad you posted this. I was absolutely stunned (8+ / 0-)

with what Randi was saying today about Keith.  She denies having any bone to pick with him, but she was laughing about watching the show in advance yesterday and she went after him with a pitchfork today.  She does have a bone to pick.  He's never had her on his show.  She's mentioned that many times in the past.

I'm usually a big fan of Randi, but today she went right off the reservation.  What do we need Rethugs for when we have each other to tear the progressives apart?

Randi seems to want to "reach out" to her new audience of right wing crazies.  She's always moderating any anti-righties who call her show, advising them not to offend her new audience.  Well, f**k your new audience Randi!  They're the problem not the solution.  We need a progressive voice out there, please!  Not an advocate for the right, AGAIN!

Damn!

•  How is she advocating for the right? (0+ / 0-)

That is a new one...Sounds like she is headed down the Dennis Miller path...but I haven't heard recently so I hesitate to make assumptions...

by justmy2 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 03:24:33 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  She's not going the crazy way of Dennis Miller. (1+ / 0-)
        TribeApologist

She's just advocating restraint when it comes to rightie bashing on her show.  She says stuff like "there are lots of people listening to this show and I don't want to offend them with stuff like this."  Stuff like "people talking in tongues are trying to take over this country and make it into a theocracy."  Stuff I agree with.

Anyway, the way she went after Keith today was outrageous, IMHO.  She said he was a whiner and melodramatic and negative and she insisted he should have used his hour on cable talking about how we were gonna get this thing done!  Rah, Rah, sis-boom-bah!  The healthcare legislation was on it's way to being passed!!!  WTF???  What about a robust public option?  What about all the money changing hands to buy the no votes in the senate and the house?  What about the vested interest the health insurance companies have in keeping the status quo and/or making even more filthy lucre on the backs of the sick and desperate?  Not a word from former progressive champion Randi Rhodes.  Just an anti-Keith Olbermann rant for 3 f'ng hours!

Randi, I'm over you!

•  Seriously? I haven't been tuning in much.... (1+ / 0-)
          Little Lulu

but I'm surprised to hear that. I guess I'll have to start tuning in again and find out. I know she likes to talk to right-wingers, but she used to simply demolish their arguments. In fact, this sounds like something that Randi herself might say (or would have said in the past):

by AuroraDawn on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 04:07:21 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  At one point, she said: (0+ / 0-)

"We do not want to become Glenn Beck."

Very interesting point. For isn't that what some of us have been saying? That we need a Democratic counterpart to Karl Rove/Rush Limbaugh/etc., that we have to act a little bit like the Republicans if we want to beat them?

My first impression of that was, "so this is what happens when a Dem finally takes that advice, and takes it a little too far."

Real Democrats don't abandon the middle class. --John Kerry

by Lucy Montrose on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 10:19:19 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  If that's what she said, it's not... (1+ / 0-)
              Lucy Montrose

too outrageous. Do we really want a Democratic Glenn Beck? I don't. A Dem like Karl Rove, maybe, to an extent, but not Beck. We don't need a crazy loon inciting people to violence.

by AuroraDawn on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 11:33:42 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Message control (0+ / 0-)

I think she can't stand the fact that she doesn't control the message.

by Prof Haley on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 04:41:26 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  So one media personality slags another (2+ / 0-)
    Bob Johnson, sebastianguy99

and we are supposed to care?

•  She's jealous of all her competitors (9+ / 0-)

She's alwasy carping about not being invited on any of the lefty TV shows.  She's really jealous that Ed Shultz got a TV program.  She used to rag on Al Franken.  Nonetheless, she very sharp.

•  Let's not forget that Stephanie Miller (4+ / 0-)
      TracieLynn, justmy2, CTPatriot, Idaho83702

is her BFF of talk radio; and, Stephanie is all over MSNBC and was on CNN the other day!

That's got to eat at Randi too.

Thing is, the nastier she gets, the more the opportunities will evade her.

•  Stephanie's funnier than Randi (1+ / 0-)
        Shaking the Tree

That's why she's getting ahead of her. (Grow a sense of humor and get some goofy soundbites, Randi dahling! "Bounce Your Boobies" one night a week isn't enough to cut it.)

If it's
        Not your body
        Then it's
        Not your choice
        AND it's
        None of your damn business!

by TheOtherMaven on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 05:01:53 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  I wonder if that relationship might be (0+ / 0-)

straining. I heard Randi the other day make a little dig at Jim Ward, Steph's talented Voice Deity. She said he looked like Rush Limbaugh (i.e. circumferentially-challenged.) Although there was a bit of a laugh after making the comparison, it sure struck me that she meant it. No doubt she's jealous of Jim's winning an Emmy recently.

Anyway, I'm done with her show. I'll have to listen to something else at that time.

Just another socialist fuckstick homosinner!

by Ian S on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 05:33:04 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Dingdingdingding, we have a winner! (1+ / 0-)
          wsexson

Randi doesn't like it when anyone achieves anything she hasn't achieved!

With Jim Ward, it's gotta be "Emmy envy"!

•  I'll bet she's the most envious of all of... (0+ / 0-)

... Rachel Maddow.

After all, Rachel started out in talk radio, too. But unlike Randi, Rachel actually made it to that all-hallowed TV that Randi constantly was saying is the only medium that counts. (Um, Randi? I, and a lot of other progressives, would beg to differ on that one.) And at a younger age and at a lightning-fast pace, too.

(I dunno, Rachel's Rhodes scholarship sure makes ME jealous.)

Real Democrats don't abandon the middle class. --John Kerry

by Lucy Montrose on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 10:22:51 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Never been able to stand listening to her. (0+ / 0-)
  •  Partisan radio, from either side, is a waste (0+ / 0-)

... of time, as far as I'm concerned.

•  I just finished listening to her show... (7+ / 0-)

for the LAST time. That is it for me.

My God, we have been battling the bad guys for so long and I for one am a very tired soldier. I have done all I could to get my side heard. I protested every Wednesday night for FOUR YEARS with Code Pink. In Orange County for Christ's sake! I can't count the times I had things thrown at me while being called the most vile names. What kept us going was the simple fact that we were right. And I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

She is beyond  not 'getting it'. I will be emailing her to tell her she has lost me. For good.

PS-My husband and I taped Keith's show last night so we can watch it again. It was fabulous.

Whoever controls the media controls the mind.

by Carla in Ca on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 03:32:58 PM PDT

•  What is up with that Randi? (9+ / 0-)

I was amazed to hear that nonsense.

Keith was to the point, he made it personal, and that makes it more easy to understand to those who say, it could never happen to me.

Yes it can, it can happen to any of us middle class people.  We do not make millions like Keith, and would have to sell our homes to pay our medical bills, until one day we run out!

•  Yeah, well at least (1+ / 0-)
    Purple Priestess

Emerson, Lake & Palmer could play their instruments like few others.

This ain't no party. This ain't no disco. This ain't no foolin' around!

by Snud on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 03:46:45 PM PDT

•  Nasal, whiney, meh (0+ / 0-)

"We have to make them do it"

by bagman on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 03:47:04 PM PDT

•  I don't care for her (0+ / 0-)

She just makes crap up and then yells at people who don't buy her crap. We don't need that.

And yes, she's waaay jealous of other progressive talkers.

•  Keith's Comment (4+ / 0-)

Keith's Comment was wonderful.  I watched it at 8 and again at 10

•  RR = fingernails on blackboard. nt (0+ / 0-)
  •  Her Heart (0+ / 0-)

is in the right place but I find her habit of talking over guests or cutting them short to be very annoying. I was a fan during her Air America gig and waited for her to return (on a new network) but after that ended I didn't care if she came back at all.

post rational - The breakfast cereal for discriminating philosophers.

by post rational on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 04:14:28 PM PDT

•  KO's comment was good but it wasn't (1+ / 0-)
    sebastianguy99

useful in changing people's position on healthcare reform.  That his Randi's point, which I think is valid.

KO did what Glenn Beck does to his base.  Please them.  Is Glenn Beck going to change anyone's position on anything in America?  No.  People who taken Beck seriously are who they are.

Just like us and Keith.

Randi makes a good point.  I'm not holding it against her.

Rob Miller, you say? I like him already.

by ssentamu on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 04:14:39 PM PDT

•  I agree with Randi Rhodes 50% (1+ / 0-)
    sebastianguy99

Keith should have spent 3 of 4 15-min segments talking about horror stories, hell he could of had the victims on to explain their story. That is what's missing from the debate.

Then spend the last 15-min segment talking about his mother and father health plight.

I watch about the first 30 mins then clicked over to watch something else, then came back for about the last 10-min

Keith is a great guy, and progressive, but no one hits it out the park all the time.

Some people are like Slinkies . . . Not really good for anything . . . . . But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

by sephius1 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 04:17:53 PM PDT

•  I like Randi but she was idiotic today. (3+ / 0-)
    sockpuppet, BluejayRN, Evil Betty

I had to turn it off. She wasted her precious airtime, a valuable commodity, on a dumb attack on a colleague and comrade. Boy, that was stupid.

She really is better when she has an annoying management to reign her in and make her obsessed with a personal enemy, then she stays focused on making a great show.

•  I'd listen to her more (2+ / 0-)
    Ian S, Evil Betty

if she could stay on the fucking air for two consecutive weeks. She's either getting fired, or having a contractual dispute, or sick, or on vacation. Hey Randi, one trick to building an audience is a little continuity.

Conservatives: the only thing to self is fear.

by MeMeMeMeMe on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 04:25:54 PM PDT

•  bounce your boobies (1+ / 0-)
    Ian S

had to stop listening to her sometime last year. she often seems slightly uninformed. she'll frame an issue almost correctly, but she'll be off a bit on fact or detail. and she has no sense of nuance whatsoever.

"Could care less" = you care about it with room to spare. "Couldn't care less" = you don't care about it at all. Don't misuse: "begs the question."

by dickinabox on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 04:45:04 PM PDT

•  Sorry, but KO didn't need the whole hour. (0+ / 0-)

He made a great point: that if the Federal government is tasked with protecting our population from outside invasion, then health care is part of that responsibility.

But a whole hour? Really?

As for eating our own, the poll results indicate that Kossaks are turning on Rhodes. Two wrongs don't make a right.

FDR: "Yes, I'm for it. Now make me do it."

by arubyan on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 04:56:06 PM PDT

•  I love Randi but today... (7+ / 0-)

I felt she was way off base.  And she just kept hammering and hammering her own bludgeoning opinions about Keith's Special Comment last night.

I saw it.  You bet.  I watched it three times.  Twice for myself, because I was so stunned by how amazingly eloquent and poignantly passionate his message and delivery were.  The third time was when the spouse got home and wanted to see it.

I thought Keith did an excellent job.  He was placing himself as "everyman".  And I'll concede Randi's point that Keith is really rich and can afford his father's health care.  But KO took it to a broader view:

What if this were happening in your family?  How would you be able to deal with it?

I logged on here today just looking for someone who addressed this Randi train-wreck today.  And it pains me greatly to reference it like that.  I listen to Randi faithfully every day.  And I always agree with her.

Until today.  And she ranted on and on and on.  And she just sounded so egotistically defensive herself, the more her shrill allegations against Keith's Special Comment were so frantically repeated.

WTF, Randi?  I have full control of my faculties.  I saw and heard Keith's Comment and his delivery.  I found no fault with it, whatsoever.  It was eloquent and articulate.  And infused with a very grounding, humanizing empathy for the health care quagmire so many of us out here are dealing with.

I'm sorry, Randi.  You needed to put a lid on that, after the first half hour or so of expressing your opinions on Keith's Comment last evening.  But you didn't.  And it just got messier and poorly reflected back on you by the minute.  I'm really sorry to see this happen.

Thank you, Keith.  That was a very moving, clarifying talk you had with us all last evening.  Bravo.

•  I think what she did is one reason... (0+ / 0-)

... politicians avoid humanizing themselves on the campaign trail. It defeats the entire purpose if you throw some emotion in, only to be told you're being "arrogant", "schmaltzy", or, most of all, "pandering"!

To have your efforts to reach out to people considered "pandering" negates the effects of all your overtures. It implies that you shouldn't have even bothered.
      And you don't know, in real time, whether you should soldier on and grow a thick skin, or to really take that criticism to heart because it's telling your something important. The consequences to what you decide come later, too late for you to do anything about it... and you find yourself with a reputation for pandering...

Real Democrats don't abandon the middle class. --John Kerry

by Lucy Montrose on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 10:29:45 PM PDT

•  I can not (0+ / 0-)

stomach her. Gives the left a bad name.

When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it? Eleanor Roosevelt

by IndyRobin on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 06:35:14 PM PDT

•  Wait .. what? (2+ / 0-)
    Purple Priestess, TribeApologist

KO spends one [masterful and personally revealing] hour, and Randi spends her entire show of THREE whining about it?

I would have shut it off after 10 minutes.

Whatever value Randi has [I used to listen to her quite regularly] is mostly gone.
    It's really more about Randi than anything else.

Try to make it real, compared to what.

by shpilk on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 06:58:49 PM PDT

•  I don't want her to lose her job. (0+ / 0-)

Too many career women lose their jobs because some higher-up doesn't like their personality or style.

I would hate to see Randi not get it-- blame it on Hollywood types who want "young and cute" like Rachel Maddow or "likeable and perky" like Stephanie Miller-- and decide that "a girl can't have a career without going under the knife, smiling constantly, and popping happy pills" or something like that. That would miss the mark, not fix those aspects of her personality and style that NEED to be fixed, may harm those that are good and suffer more for far less "shrillness" than Randi displayed today.

Real Democrats don't abandon the middle class. --John Kerry

by Lucy Montrose on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 10:34:47 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  That last sentence needs to be... (0+ / 0-)

"That would miss the mark, not fix those aspects of her personality and style that NEED to be fixed, may harm those that are good... and do no justice to ordinary professional women who suffer a lot more for far less "shrillness" than Randi displayed today."

Real Democrats don't abandon the middle class. --John Kerry

by Lucy Montrose on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 10:36:14 PM PDT

•  Whoa! (1+ / 0-)
    Lucy Montrose

I'm listening to Mike Malloy read this VERY diary verbatim on his show.

"Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies." Thomas Jefferson

by Uosdwis on Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 07:09:34 PM PDT

•  Randi lost it (1+ / 0-)
    Lucy Montrose

...today. But once you acquire the taste for her, she's an ardent advocate for the cause and frankly we need as many progressive voices on the air as possible.

I'm with the poster who's cutting her some slack.

Stupid for her to attack KO. Stupid for us as progressives to attack her in any final way as well.

•  Redemption (0+ / 0-)

Randi Rhodes came on the air today and issued a sincere apology for her conduct yesterday.  It takes a person of character to admit they were wrong.  Good for her.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site